From:
Kevin Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 23:02:36 EST
{On our last show we encountered Zeus, the loving wayward ferret.  The
possibility that Zeus had contracted distemper hung over him as would a
dark supercell storm cloud.  And now, the saga continues . . . . .}.

Hey and dooks to all the furkids !

Okay here it goes, let's see how much ya remember: Got Zeus, found out
later that another kit from the same group (sold 22 days earlier) had
contracted distemper and died, no report of any others in goup being ill,
found out other kits owner had taken him walking in park before distemper
shot would have provided immunity .... <deep breath>.

On Sunday I brought Zeus to the clinic for a distemper booster.  There
were no reactions at the time.  Later that night, Zeus right eye shut (he
had been squinting the day before).  By Monday morning Zeus was whining
frequently.  Both of his eyes were closed but there was no swelling or
discharge.  With both eyes shut he still explored and ran around the living
room.  He was alert and able to follow me around.  His appetite for kibble
was fair <he's a kibble nibbler>.  He would lap down Fuzzy Soup from the
bowl.  No force feeding necessary.  Sneezing episodes have begun.

Tuesday - Zeus seemed to be running a fever but still alert, active, and
playful.  No loss of appetite.  Both eyes remained closed, I saw a pus like
discharge from his right eye.  I could see no crusting near the mouth,
nose, or abdomen.

Wednesday - went to the very ferret knowledgable vet ; ).  She did find a
rash on the lower abdomen.  He is still very alert and active.  She is not
100% that it is distemper.  Yes, I know, a lot of the signs are there.
BUT - there is a possibility that Zeus may have influenza and the rash may
be from the fever or a reaction to the distemper booster on Sunday.

The vet cleaned out his eyes and treated them with gentocin.  She also
administered cefadroxil as an antibiotic.  I brought Zeus home with the
medicine and home care instructions.  Zeus was very active on the way home.
I could see him in the cage moving around and listening to all the sounds,
trying to figure out what they were.

When I placed Zeus down on the living room carpet, I noticed something
unusual.  The moment he started to run around on the carpet, he began
scratching.  I wonder if there is something in the carpet that may be
causing the rash or exczema.  He did not scratch at all while in the vets
office of on the way home.

Like I said, he is still very playful and active.  He is eating a bunch of
kibble right now, stopping only to run over to where I am and nip at my
boots.  Mind you, both of his eyes are still closed.

Anyway, the vet is not ready to call it, I am not ready to call it, and
Zeus seems DEFINATELY not ready to call it.  So, try we will until there
is a significant change in his activity or the such.

The greatest gift one could receive in life is to die knowing that someone
truly loved and cared for them.  Zeus will have that from me.

Kevin B and the Way Kewl Critter Crew
Featuring
~~THE~~FANTASTIC~~FUZZY~~~FLURRY~~OF~~FIFTEEN~~
~Furrice~Simon~Lacey~Hershey~Sprite~Socks~Cuddles~Java~Rascal~Miss Priss~
Cinna~Racer~Muttley~Dookesbury~
INTRODUCING ~ZEUS~ (Say what?  I ain't going ANYWHERE !!)
Guest STAR - ~Fur-Angel Lady~
Neighborhood kids - Min-Pins Geordi , Jaida, and Spice
Missing our friends - Kimo the Sumo Cat (and Honorary Fert) and fellow ferts
~Petey~, ~Nibbler~, ~Max~, ~Romeo~, ~Bandit~, and the other ~Romeo~
Saying "Hey!" to ~Pandora~, ~Noser~ and the rest of the Tennessee Brat
Pack !!