From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 10:28:54 EDT
Sukie wrote:
>Danee, Some of the list members say that they will give ONLY to research
>that does not infect or sacrifice ferrets as with the current U of GA
>project.

I really feel a need to respond to this.  This is directed to those people
who "will give ONLY to research that does not infect or sacrifice ferrets".
I'm not a research vet, nor a scientist and am probably not intelligent
enough to be if I wanted to, BUT...

Would the people who made that comment please tell me what you would do
to learn about ADV (determine the exact incubation period, the times
during which ferrets can shed the virus, why some ferrets get sick and
die and some never do, come up with a vaccine, and so on, and so on, and
so on...there is almost NOTHING actually known about this disease...*I*
know...I've asked everyone) without infecting laboratory animals and
tracking the disease process, shedding process, testing potential vaccines,
etc.?  I don't much care for laboratory animals being used for some types
of testing, but there is only ONE way to my knowledge that you can research
a disease and vaccine for ferrets, and that's by using live laboratory
ferrets.

We have a distemper vaccine that has proven "effective" in vaccinating
ferrets against distemper.  How do you suppose that came about?  How do you
suppose the shedding period for rabies was found?  I have a pretty strong
"suspicion" that live laboratory ferrets were used.  Maybe you would prefer
that things stayed the way they were in the past?  After all, no one knew
the shedding period for rabies in ferrets, so ferrets that bit were killed
and their heads sent off for testing.  Is that what you wanted?  Would you
prefer that distemper could just kill the majority of your pet ferrets?
Would you want YOUR ferret killed because it nipped someone?  Would you
want your entire group of babies to die horrible deaths from distemper?
Just as long as no laboratory ferrets were used...it would be o.k., right?

Let's say someone came up with what they "thought" would work as a
vaccination against distemper in ferrets, although no one would know just
what effect it would have on ferrets since you don't want testing done on
live laboratory ferrets.  So, how about if some of this "untested" vaccine
is sent to YOUR vet to "try" on your ferrets...YOUR babies?  Would you
volunteer them?  I'm assuming that you *do* want your ferrets protected
against distemper...but don't want lab animals used to make that
possible...right?

It's truly sad that some ferrets will have to get sick and die to find
vaccines, cures, treatments, but that's how it is, folks.  I don't *like*
it any better than you do, but the alternative is MUCH worse.  Please...
think about what you're saying!

I will probably get flamed for this post, but I don't care.  I *can*
guarantee each of you one thing...when YOUR ferrets get ADV, you'll WISH
someone had tested lab animals to find a vaccine or cure.  You'll WISH
someone had tested lab animals to find out how easily this virus is
spread, what the incubation period is, what the different titer levels
of antibodies mean in relation to symptoms, and so on, and so on.  I
absolutely guarantee you that.  When it's YOUR turn to call every leading
vet in the country and hear from each and every one "We just don't know".
"There IS no treatment or cure that we know of." "We don't KNOW if your
ferrets are going to live or die, nor do we know how soon your ferrets
will die if they're going to." We don't KNOW what pain they may or may not
be in, or what organs will be destroyed."

So, before you flame me...walk a mile in my shoes first.  And walk a mile
in my shoes before you refuse to give to research that uses live ferrets.

Judy