From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:45:21 -0400
Actually, Al, you will find that a huge chunk of current funding for BFF
work is federal (even with state programs); those monies will go away
under the proposed budget.

Cloning is an expensive bust at this stage of the game.  There are early
deaths and multiple other problems.  Pays to not waste eggs on it when they
can used to breed HEALTHY animals through standard means.  Cloning is a new
thing and has a lot of problems to understand before it is logically used
for a human or endangered species, esp.  with cells taken from an older
individual whose telemeres already carry aging damage.

>>Of course, "Bush will be the first American president directly
>>responsible for the extinction of an endangered species."
>
>You're kidding, of course.  Not too many geological years ago there were
>only 150 BFF left.

In years since people have known what is endangered and cared it actually
IS possible that he could become this.

>Speaking of which, I did a single Web search for BFFs.  There apparently
>many organizations (including my home state of Arizona) with BFF
>reintroduction programs.  Stop crying about presidents you disagree with
>philosophically and find out what you can do to help out the organizations
>that are still working on the reintroduction.

Money, money, money since someone will have to make up for all the lost
federal dollars; plus a person will have to recognize that little can be
done to help with the habitat loss unless conscientious people with loads
of money put land aside because it sure won't happen otherwise now in
large enough amounts.

>As you can see from the above, stupid words and snotty innuendos do
>nothing useful.  They just irritate people.

Well, his argument wasn't stupid even though his words were stronger than
is comfy.  The danger certainly exists -- in a huge way.  Doesn't matter
if people don't want to see a blow before they are hit upside the head;
the goose-egg is there if the blow was seen coming or if it was ignored.
At least if someone sees it coming there is chance to block it or duck.

>All you need to do is start cloning the little vermin and their prey and
>putting them out in your back yard.

Actually, Cheney DID call Black Footed Ferrets "vermin" and unlike you he
did NOT do it in a joking (?) fashion.  (Have you heard the ones about the
fashionistas parading in their eagle feather hats, and BBF coats who were
protected from prosecution and from animal lovers by their Cheney Link
Fence?)

>By the bye, does anyone have any solid info on what cloning of endangered
>species is not being tried?  Too many failures?  Too expensive up front??

Both.  Even the successes tend to often die young, and it takes hundreds
of tries for most successes.