From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 22:14:36 -0400
Dear Pat:
>My questions to Dr. Williams is this...could the reaction havae been
>caused more from being stressed than the actual vaccine?  Should I now
>never vaccinate her again or could I safely go back to Fervac?  Should I
>notify the makers of Galaxy-D of the reaction?

Unfortunately, there is probably going to be no vaccine that is totally
without the possibility of reactions in ferrets - but Galaxy D appears to
have far less than Fervac.  Nowadays, we are even starting to compile a
number of ferrets that react to Imrab as well.  There appear to always be
exeptions to any rule..... at best, we play a games of odds and have to
be ready for the exception - thankfully, you were!

Boy, do I hate saying to never vaccinate a ferret against distemper,
especially when rescues are taken in - you never know when you'll hit one
with distemper.  If you have had success with Fervac in the past, I would
suggest a return (but with great care - once a reactor, you always have to
consider a ferret to be a reactor.)

Not being superstitious, but Eponine (what would Dickens have to say about
that name?)

With kindest regards (and glad that Whisper pulled through)
Bruce Williams, DVM