From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:39:59 -0700
Special orders just won't cut it for the pet shops or Marshall. They
are used to a certain profit - Marshall with the regular outgoing of
pet shop ferrets, and Petco with the ferrets being bought by anyone
(they don't care if they are bought by bad or uninformed owners).

Special orders would require more insight and thought, less money
being made from animals and would likely make the whole operation more
expensive as a whole for MF, even if the ferrets prices were raised,
since less would be bought overall. Marshalls pet ferret division and
any other "ferret farm" depend on impusle sales from their partner pet
shops in order to achieve the sales and money they are used to. Going
back from that would not be in their best interest.

I don't know your thoughts on it are so I won't assume you are against
this, but I'll continue: IMO banning their sale completely from pet
shops is the only way to go. With thousands and thousands in shelters
all over the United States, there is no reason why they need to be sold
anymore. Some say this would bolster bad breeders, but truth be told,
no one who ever really wanted to breed ferrets was ever stopped by the
fact that a pet shop sold them. I believe it would have little impact,
but I could be wrong.

The USA needs to get with the program and ban sales of animals in
petshops and rely on adoption to fuel the pet industry, especially
taking aim at the mall petshops that have one of each breed of dog on
display, usually outrageously expensive and which only cost them $5
to $10 from a puppy mill.

Laryssa