From:
Todd Cromwell III <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 1994 20:14:12 -0400
Dear Jonathan et al,

Here is my litter training technique.  It may or may not work for you.
My slinkies are perfect at using the box with about 2-4 rooms of area
and just one litter box in the bathroom.  Naturally if you don't cage
your urchins (as I don't cage mine) you must quite adequately
ferretproof any area you let them have (beware of escape, toxins,
breakables, scratchables, upturnables, and chewables).  I
bitter-apple-goo (the goo, not the spray) the electrical cords just
for added safety.

1. Start with the ferrets confined to a single room.  I started with
the bathroom, placing a box in a corner right near the toilet (so I
can throw the poops in the toilet every day).  I've cut out the front
of the box so the front lip is only 1 inch high.  I use standard clay
litter, non-scoopable.

2. If they make an occasional mistake, you can try (cleaning it up
very well and) putting a rumpled up old blanket or old clothing in the
corner or area where they made the mistake.  My ferrets will not go on
a rumpled up blanket, perhaps thinking it an auxilary bed, or in any
case, not a corner (who knows what they really think?).  Your results
may vary.

If they are totally out of control (or if the blanket trick doesn't
work), then confine them to a smaller area.  If they are already
confined to only one room, them confine them to a smaller area,
eventually so that they must choose between going in their bed or the
box.  If the latter doesn't work, I don't know how to help you.

3. Once they are using the area perfectly (for a week or two), add a
little bit more area, say, a hallway or a small room.  As a wall, I
use large pictures (with adequate support) with the glass turned
inward; you may have to use plexiglass if your urchins jump high.  If
you close a door to make a wall, you may have to put a strip of
chickenwire or plastic runner under the door so they won't dig the
carpet to shreds.

If they make mistakes, go to step 2.  If they are ok in the new area
(but wait a week to make sure), go to step 3.  I don't think you can
expect ferrets to use just one litter box if they have to travel more
than 3 rooms to get to it or have to go up or down stairs (but maybe
some people have more trainable urchins than mine).

Tips:

If you catch them doing it wrong, yell "No!" loudly, try to pick them
up and turn them upside down before they actually go, and flick them
on the nose hard once or twice (you must make it very unpleasant for
them to have tried to go in the wrong place), and put them in the
litter box.  Speak soothingly to them when they come out, or if they
were just faking watch them and repeat the procedure if they decide to
go in a bad place.

Ferrets usually go within 5 minutes of waking up.

It helps if you can be home to watch whenever you expand to a new area
(ideally, pick a weekend).

If they are voiding under a dresser, prevent them from going under
there.  If under a bed, either prevent them from going under, or try
the blanket trick, but generally, if they are out of control, confine
to a smaller space that doesn't include the bed or other problem area
until they are quite good at the smaller area.

If they go on carpet, go to a janitor supply place and get an enzyme
that breaks down urine.  Soak up as much as you can with a paper
towel, then pull up the carpet (since they go near a corner this is
easy) and spray the enzyme on the pad and under the carpet as well as
on top.

If you move the ferrets to a new area, you may have to train them anew
(I moved twice recently, and they are back up to several rooms again).
If you alternate areas, then it may be a little hard to train them,
but if the blanket trick works then you may be able to use it.

Todd Cromwell
(719) 599-3611