From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 08:32:00 -0500
I hope this is taken in the manner that it is intended - a difference of
opinion rather than criticism of anyone.

There was a post yesterday about teeth cleaning and how important it is to a
ferret's health.  No disagreement there, but it went on to recommend not
going to a vet's office for the cleaning because they would put the ferret
under for the cleaning.

My opinion - I'm not a vet just a shelter operator so take it for what it's
worth.  The teeth cleaning described would result in clean, white looking
teeth above the gum lines.  It was my understanding, however, that the
dangerous gum disease was a result of tartar below the gum line which should
only be cleaned off by someone really experienced with the process, and
while the animal is under anesthetic.  If you don't get that tartar, the
cleaning is only cosmetic, while the real danger lurks under the gums.

Any vets willing to step in here? <G>

Dick B.