From:
Modern Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:20:27 -0400
I'm pleased to say that one of my photographs has been used to illustrate
a pro-ferret piece on NYC ferret legalization.

The piece ran in _Time Out New York_ on page 38 of this week's issue (Aug
16-23, 2001 - there is a dog on front cover).

They used the photo from the cover of issue #23 of _Modern Ferret_
Magazine:
http://www.modernferret.com/mfm023/cover23_large.jpg

and ran this as the caption for it:
"FERRET BANNED The funny antics of ferrets rock their owners' worlds, but
the Department of Health says the critters are too wild and dangerous."
(You have to know that the photo features a ferret playing guitar with
Gumby and Barbie -- then you realize the caption is poking fun at the DoH.)

I think their choice of photo speaks volumes about the kind of "wild" they
think ferrets are.  I'm pleased that once again, _Modern Ferret_ Magazine
has been able to do a bit to help out with some pro-ferret legalization
information and publicity.

The article features quotes from Mary (my wife), Gary Kaskel, and Melissa
Blake.

An interesting point the reporter caught was that when she was speaking
with Gary Kaskel, he told her, "Rabies is a smoke-screen issue.  There is
no rabies among house-bound pets.  Everybody freaks out about it, but do
you know when the last case was reported in New York City?  Forty years
ago!" Health Department Spokesperson Greg Butler refuted that statement,
saying that the number is more in the neighborhood of 50 years.

That being the case (and the Health Department knows it), it seems that one
of their arguments against ferrets is even that much weaker.  They know
rabies isn't an issue, yet they and Mayor Giuliani keep acting as if it is.

Updates on other Modern Ferret stuff:
Issue #31 should roll off the press sometime this week, featuring a very
special "find" from Bob Church: New York City ferret photos that haven't
been seen in about 80 years showing the IMPORTANCE of ferrets in New York
City's history!

We're really close to finishing our Litter Box Training Manual, just all
of this other stuff keeps sidetracking us.  Please be patient with us --
talking with reporters about ferret legalization takes precedence over all
the business stuff.

- Eric

Modern Ferret Magazine - For ferret owners. By ferret owners.
Mary & Eric Shefferman & the Fuzzies:
Trixie, Balthazar, Cauliflower, Koosh, and Gabrielle
http://www.modernferret.com  - http://www.ferrettradingpost.com
http://www.ferretdesigns.com - http://www.ferrettelevision.com
http://www.modernferrets.com - http://www.modernferretblog.com