From:
Dee Eisenman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:15:39 -0800
>Peta is lying.  We have tolked to numerous people who have actually been
>on Marshall's ranch.  It is not paradise for ferrets but as farms go it
>seems VERY humane.
>
>Pet stores seek out Marshall's products because Marshall has earned a
>reputation for well behaved ferrets.  They even pay extra for them
>compared to other ranches.

What?  I am so confused by these statements, and would LOVE to hear from
these people who have been to Marshall Farms.  Over and over several on
this list have repeatedly bashed Marshall Farms but have not backed the
statements up with eye witnesses (except for the several past citations
against Marshall, which I do believe).  To the contrary, some people on
this list have stated that they know people who have visited Marshall Farms
or have worked there.  If this is true, how come they are not on here
dispelling all the bashing?  Furthermore, I know first hand that Marshall
does NOT allow the public into their facilities, so HOW did the above
mentioned get in?  Please elaborate, I am sure several are dying to know.
Where is the proof that PETA is lying?

As for pet stores paying extra for Marshall Farms ferrets, that is simply
BOGUS in MY area.  I have spoken with stores that carry both Marshall
Farms, Path Valley and Triple F and one of the Canadian farm ferrets -
all tell me that they pay equally for each (usually $35.00 per ferret).
In fact, the DM at Petco told me how much is paid, and one of the store
employees (no longer there now) even showed me an invoice (she did not
understand how the invoice ended up with the shipping papers since that
stuff usually goes to corporate).  It could also be that different states
pay different amounts for ferrets?  It could also be that different stores
are charged differently based on "bulk orders"?  What I have been told by
several pet stores is that they do prefer Marshall Farms ferrets due to
temperment, but that often they cannot care for them because Marshall Farms
has been known to ship too young, which hinders the pet store.  That has
been the main complaint I have heard from store managers about Marshall
Farms.  NOBODY has stated that Marshall Farms ferrets are pricier.  Again,
I would love to hear if anyone has proof otherwise, and what state they are
in.  It would certainly be interesting to see if certain areas are paying
more for the same.  Also, I can provide names of stores to those who want
to talk to sources that I have spoken with.  I have heard rumors (not first
hand) that smaller stores pay more for farm ferrets (regardless of which
farm) because they order less quantity, less often.

I agree that the Marshall debate is getting old and I do not wish to cause
more discussion, but when blanket statements are made like the above, I
must question it.  No source is listed as to where this information came
from.  It is so difficult to find a consumer who has toured Marshall Farms,
since they have never allowed it in the past and still say that they don't
allow it.  It sure would be nice to hear DIRECTLY from someone who has
witnessed the operation first hand.  Perhaps this could benefit Marshall
Farms?  If they are as good as they claim, then we would all benefit from
this and would also benefit from knowing that the rumors are simply not
true.

I beg anyone who has inside knowledge (former worker or someone who has
toured the place) to come forward and tell us what you have experienced
there.  Until sources are revealed, I am inclined NOT to believe anything
but the authoritie's reports I have read about the place.  I also think
that someone who claims that they have visited the place but will not
divulge information, is either lying or has been instructed NOT to say
anything -which would usually (not always) indicate that the information
they have, could be damaging to the reputation of the party/business
discussed?  Places and people who have done good things usually are proud
of good comments and would want the information spread to consumers -
correct?  If good information were to come out - witnesses that are regular
people, not motivated/instructed by the business entity), wouldn't it
benefit the entity both through reputation and thus more orders being
placed by pet stores because people are requesting ferrets from Marshall
Farms?  I think so.

Another "rumor" I have heard about Marshall Farms is that they are
"mafia-owned" and this is why no former workers will speak out.  I doubt
this is true, but it is an amusing rumor/speculation for sure.

Till then, the mystery drags on.

Adios mis amigos!