From:
Bonnie Tormohlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2012 23:06:04 -0800
I don't think I would personally go that far out on a limb and claim
that corn starch or sorghum packing peanuts are "perfectly safe". I
would agree that they are safe with regard to being "non-toxic" to
the environment, but do bear in mind that these little gems of digging
delight are not produced in plants that make food products...ergo,
safety IS an issue if your fuzzy decides to eat these things like
my Buddy Bear did. It took some time to trace the origin of Buddy's
chronic diarrhea, and I finally found him noshing away one day in the
dig box. Once his packing peanut diet was eliminated, so was the
diarrhea! Non-toxic starch peanuts also produce a lot of dust if not
changed frequently...not the best thing for burrowing noses. To each
his/her own.

Bonnie Tormohlen
Managing Director
Northern Arizona Ferret Alliance & Rescue, Inc