Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:18:34 EST
As seldom as I get involved in these type discussions, I thought I'd
offer my two cents on this thread. I have been involved with rescue
and animal legislation for seventeen years in Texas, so I do have some
qualitative experience in this matter.

As I read your post to shelters, it became obvious that your questions
were mostly rhetorical. You posed the question, then answered each
one yourself. I will add this; just as with human adoptions, almost
everyone wants a baby. The inherent problem with all babies is that
everyone seems to want one; until the reality of the responsibility and
commitment sets in. Every ferret (or other pet species) in a shelter or
rescue was a baby when purchased. The majority of ferrets in our local
(SAFE) rescue system have came from the people of the age group 15 to
30 years. The reasons for surrender of ferrets is almost identical to
those for other pet species. If you inquire to human adoption agencies,
child welfare agencies and police departments, you will find that this
is the same age group that surrenders, abandons, abuses and/or kills
their own children. Sadly, we live in a "throw away" society today.
Instead of looking for who or whom to "blame", we need to look for
solutions as how we can eliminate this current trend. Education as to
the care required for each species, and the responsibility taken for
that life is paramount. Neither children nor pets are "disposable".
Each of us is responsible for the life that we bring into our own
lives. You can legislate responsibility, you cannot legislate morality.
In that light, each of us needs to work with local schools, camps,
civic organizations and our local governments to educate them about
"Responsible Pet Ownership".

We do not have a "pet overpopulation problem", we have an
"irresponsible people problem". Nuf said.

Thanks, Dooks and Blessings,

Rick White - SAFE Legislative Affairs Liaison
Tel:  (210) 661-9195 or (210) 661-0608
PO Box 190042
San Antonio, TX  78220-7000

"Stupid is as Stupid does." Quote from "Forrest Gump"