From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:19:47 -0400
kidney disease: Ask Charlie Weiss (since he is treating vet) when you
should go to k/d (it is specially designed to have lowered protein
levels) and what foods to avoid AT THIS STAGE.  Yes, the gravy has high
protein levels -- which is one reason for ferrets WITHOUT kidney disease
it can be so useful.  Anyway, discount what any of us say compared to
what Dr. Weiss says since he knows the specifics.

When change is good: I have seen a few people get angry in relation to
the sugar and insulinoma stuff and such, but it is NOT a reason to get
angry.  It is GOOD that experts alter what they encourage and do based on
the latest studies.  Such changes indicate continued learning and that is
a PLUS.  I have had some angry replies (one recently on the late stage
insulinoma sugar thing) from some who pretty wanted things to be set in
stone, but that is not realistic.  With ferrets we are all always
learning.  Meds are developed or tried or tried differently, hypotheses
are proven, hypotheses are disproven, etc.  Changes in response to new
knowledge is not reason for distrust; they are reasons for INCREASED
TRUST!