From:
John Gaver x5757 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1993 14:36:38 -0400
Well, I finally got caught up after returning from the NAFA Championship
Ferret Show in Longview, Texas, last weekend.  So, I thought I would let
everyone know how it went.

The show was, as mentioned above, sanctioned by the North American Ferret
Association (NAFA), whose standards for conformation and color were the basis
for all prizes that were awarded.  We had close to 100 ferrets registered for
competition and another 30 or so that were there just for sale.  The show was
co-sponsored by Pepsi-Cola.  We also had a ton of raffle prizes that were
donated by other companies.  These included numerous 10 lb. bags of dry food
and litter from Hi Top, a lot of shampoo from Professional Pet Products, a
pet carrier from Doxicel (sp), harnesses, leashes, pet toys and a whole bunch
of other stuff that I don't remember right now.  There were also two young
ferrets included in the raffle (both ferrets were entered in the competition
and earned enough points to qualify as Champion).

The competition was tough in all categories.  But, it was particularly tough
in the Adult (unaltered) category.  The judges called each of the finalists
back at least twice and in the end, it came down to examining whiskers for
semitry.  You have never seen a more beautiful bunch of ferrets.  One of the
judges told me that 4 of them would have gotten 1st Place at _any_ other
competition and that the other 6 would have gotten 1st Place at _most_ other
competitions.  I have to agree.  In fact, considering the competition, I am
very gratified that our little Godiva (Cocoa Silver Mit), who was only two
weeks into her new coat, got 3rd Place in Best In Show.

We also had a lot of walk through (un-enlightened) traffic.  So, we managed
to spread the good word about how sweet these little carpet sharks can be.

The dealer tables stayed pretty busy all day.  The most popular items were
the "MY FERRET WALKS ALL OVER ME" T-Shirts and the "LEGALIZE THE DOMESTIC
FERRET" T-Shirt. I think that they also sold out of the "NAFA Show Ferret On
Board" license plate frames, as well.  Some hard to find, specialty grooming
products appeared to do rather well too.

All in all, it was a FANTASTIC show.

So, how do you follow something like that?  Well, it may be hard, be we are
tentatively planning a HUGE ferret show in Houston next July.  We are already
working on sponsorships.  And I have a decided advantage there.  I work for
an entertainment company that produces everything from rock concerts and
tractor pulls to the recent Broadway Hit (5 Tonys) Tommy.  So, needless to
say, I have access to some of the best sponsorship and promotion
professionals in the country, to give me advise.  Our goal is to have more
than 1000 ferrets registered for competition.

Vaccination papers will be required for canine distemper and rabbies.  We
will also have one of Houston's foremost ferret vets, Dr. Dan Jordan, DVM, at
the door, to check ferrets as necessary, before they enter the exhibit hall.
The tentative date for this show is July 9, 1994.  The exhibit hall and host
hotel is undetermined at this time.  I will post more information about this
show as it develops.

"Cats may be cool, but carpet sharks rule!"

John Gaver ([log in to unmask])