From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:39:19 -0700
I'm really behind on reading my FML's (was on vacation for a week and
a half), but this question really is timely for me.

While I was gone, my litte man, Snuffy, passed away. He's been sick for
a while - insulinoma for over a year, and adrenal problems as well. He
had bad days, but mostly, he had good days. He played with his buddies
up until about 36-48 hours before he passed, and he simply went to
sleep and didn't wake up.

Honestly, I want to go this way - happy and mostly active to the end,
giving my loved ones time to say goodbye and prepare for my departure,
and just falling asleep at home.

I miss him, but his illness gave me time to accept that I would loose
him. If he had gone all at once, I think the shock would have been much
harder.

Everyone dies. That means they either get sick or go all at once
(sometimes something halfway in between - sudden illness, pass in a few
days or weeks). This is true for people, ferrets, dogs, cats, birds,
otters, pigmy hedgehogs (sorry, France)... everyone.

So, no, all ferrets do not get sick. Some die suddenly from an injury.
When you adopt them, you need to acknowledge that you will almost
certainly live longer than they will. That means they'll die in your
care. That doesn't mean you shouldn't love them, or enjoy their love
in return. You just do the best you can for them, love them, be loved
by them, and let them go when it's their time.

Debbie