From:
Roberta McCanse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2010 10:42:54 -0500
We had a ferret who was suspected of having lymphoma but lymph node
biopsies came back positive for large amounts of mycobacteria which
staining confirmed as Tuberculosis. Quark, who died last night, was one
of 13 8 week old babies that came to our shelter, along with 2 moms, 5
years ago.

A woman in Springfield, MO had imported Danish hunting stock for
breeding, then decided she didn't want to do this after all and put
them all outside. Her daughter rescued the moms and babies but it took
a couple of days to get to them. By this time I'm sure that the dads
were long gone. During this time it is possible, but unlikely, that one
of the moms may have killed a rabbit or possum for food. We can think
of no other way that Quark could have been exposed to either bovine or
avian TB.

None of the other Danes have been ill except for the smaller mom who
died earlier this year of unknown causes. We understand that TB can be
sequestered for long periods of time and we are concerned about the
rest of the group. We also understand that TB is very rare in ferrets,
except in New Zealand where ferrets hunt rabbits. We are working to
further identify the type of TB that infected Quark. Although at this
point it's too late to think about treatment for him the others in the
group may benefit should they also become ill.

Has anyone dealt with TB in ferrets? Does anyone know anything about
it? Etiology apparently includes eating infected animals but it is not
airborn and does not infect the ferret respiratory system. I doubt that
it could be passed to people, and our ferrets have never eaten prey,
but we are concerned that the other "babies" may be carrying it. Thanks
for any information you may be able to pass on to us.

Bobbi McC
KC Ferret Hotline