From:
Brett & Melissa Lapham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 20:17:08 -0700
Hello all, We wrote the other day with concerns that our Jasper (6yr
old male, 8 months post adrenal surgery) may have insulinoma (1 episode
of stumbling around - about 5 minutes long, lethargy, excessive
salivation.  - Food intake, stools, urination all appear normal so far).
Well, it appears that our fears were correct.  We took him to the vet on
Monday (3/4/02) for a glucose level check and it came back at 33.  I think
there may be a contributing factor to it being this low, but not enough
to dismiss the test.  We had to leave at 4am to drive 4hrs to the vet.
Jasper normally doesn't eat much over the night, so by the time his 8am
test rolled around it could have been as much as 9+ hrs since he had
eaten.

The vet put Jasper on pedipred (non alcoholic solution), 1/2 ml twice a
day.  She also sent some blood work to the lab to compare insulin levels
to glucose levels to try to confirm the disease.  As of yet, we have not
scheduled surgery and we are not sure if we should.  Given Jasper's age
and how low his glucose level was, we are concerned that the risks may out
way the potential benefits of surgery.  We would sure appreciate any feed
back on this.... If the surgery could have long term positive effects, we
would probably go for it.  If we are only looking at a short term gain,
maybe the risk is not worth it....

In addition to the surgery feedback, we would be interested in what
experiences people have had in dealing with this disease.  Any
recommendations for treatment (food to give, avoid, medicines to look at,
etc) would really be a help.  We have already had one gracious offer for
guidance (we'll keep trying to call you Sondra), but I figure the more
input we get the better....

Thanks so much
Brett and Melissa Lapham