From:
Anthony Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:10:50 +0000
The latest best toy for Felix is now a bag of basmati rice.  After some
deliberation I finally decided that I should build a rice box for matey
boy to play in.  So off I toddled to the local Indian supermarket and
bought a large sack of rice.  Now having bought this there was the obvious
concern that he would either ignore it or pooh in it, not as daft as it
seems after all it did take a while to convince him that the litter tray
was for poohing and not sleeping in :-)

Anyway the best!!!  (if there is such a thing with ferrets involved) plan
of action seemed to be to put some rice into a smaller tray and see if he
liked it, if he didn't then I knew what I'd be living on for the next six
months, if he did, great.  So rice meets seed tray, ferret meets seed tray
plus rice, swiftly followed by rice being scattered to all four corners of
the room which I kinda took as a success.  It was quite amusing to watch
him snorkeling along with his head buried and then watch as he hit the
corner, up popped the head and out went more rice followed by even more as
he tried to dig up the corner.

So based on this a whole load of rice was dumped in a large plastic box,
ferret quickly following, he climbed in rather than being dumped :-).  He
went mad rolling around and digging and snorkeling, the only problem is
that the box needs to be a bit bigger, so that he can get a good long
snorkel going.

From reading various posts it does seem that it is a good idea to restict
his time in there to prevent any problems with his skin drying out.  So the
question is how long do people generally allow the wee fuzzies in the rice
box.

Tony and Felix

http://homepages.tesco.net/~anthony.clark