From:
Ken meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 11:11:35 -0800
Hiya Fert Lovers!!

BIG, Congrats on your award.

Although I have been on the FML for many years, I think I have posted 3
times.  By nature I am a bit shy and reclusive, and prefer to lurk.

I was one of those CA Ferret Felons for the majority of my life.  I had
many ferrets, and even had a try at breeding, 4 litters, and each kit that
left broke my heart.Each feret live healthy happy lives, even tho the usual
problems happened along the way.  I went out and rescued many abused carpet
sharks, and biters, and found them homes, but I guess I know now that I was
an unsanctioned rougue.

Now that I live in ferret friendly Delaware, I am owned by a 3 1/2 year
old MF Sable named Quasimoto, the apple of my eye, and the joy of my life.
I spotted Quasi in a little pet store in West Virginia 3 years ago.  I
visited him regularly, and he was bought and returned 3 times by people
who could not handle him.  His roommate had a terrible case of ECE, but
recovered, although he was sickly for the remaining 2 years of his life.
Quasi never showed any symptoms, and has never been sick.  I took him
because the pet store owner wanted to get rid of him, and I had fallen in
love with this little guy.

ANYWAY, after rambling like that, the reason for this post is going to get
me some flames and hate mail, but I just have to say it.

Quasi is lonely.  He gets lots of love, and is a perfect companion, but I
think he needs a sleeping buddy and playmate.  (Ferret math, ya know).  My
SO and I have lots of love to share, and decided that we would adopt a
special needs ferret.  We hoped for one that is blind, or lame, or an
amputee.  We started visiting shelter web-sites to see what was out there.

Now, maybe I am sensitive about privacy due to having lived in CA, but,
these places scare me.  I have read their applications, and I tell ya what,
I do want a special little guy/girl to share our lives, but NO-ONE is going
to call my Vet.  NO-ONE is going to call my work.  NO-ONE is going to
inspect my house.  NO-ONE is going to be privy to my personal information.

I can just as easily go buy a healthy little guy at PETSMART, and all they
want is my cash.  Now I know this is the reason that so many ferts end up
in shelters, but that is just how it is.

I AM willing to bring Quasi and my SO, to be interviewed.  I AM willing to
bring pictures of his cage, and samples of his food, and I am willing to
chat with the shelter operator at length.  I will even bring a current
inoculation record.  I just will not and cannot tolerate the invasion of
my privacy that these people feel is their right.

Thanks for letting me vent, and please direct any indignant flames from
shelter people to me.  I know why you do what you do, I don't need to be
lectured, but I think some of you are WAYYY out of line, making it much
less trouble for us to just go buy a ferret somewhere else, than adopt a
little one that needs us.  Remember, I was doing what you do, albeit on a
much smaller scale, and risking JAIL, not just a returned fuzzy.

Kensbest