From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:57:00 -0500
Ferret Wise closed doors to all operations last Thursday- surgery kids
were put on hold ( one is in bad shape but now can have surgery tomorrow--
while the other will have surgery this afternoon!

What happened to us is this:

After the Manchester, NH group ( police seizure 1/23) were admitted 1/24 -
testing via oral - POCT were negative.  a few weeks later we had the
occassion to place an older gal -- suspect insulinoma in a hospice home
in NY.  AT her vet check 3.5 weeks later the POCT was again administered
using the 2 drops of blood per revised testing of Avecon.  She proved
positive.  This understandably created pandemonium in the shelter and in
another hospice home where more of the Manchester ferrets were in
residence.  So Ferret Wise quietly closed all intake operations- We did a
full blood testing via CIEP on Monday- the Manchester hospice group was
also tested at Fisherville Animal Hosp., on Monday-- we await their
results and are now hopeful they too are negative..

This morning we got the United results
WE ARE NEGATIVE at Ferret Wise!

All tests submitted on Monday from Ferret Wise Shelter (main) via United
CIEP are negative-- we await results form the Manchester group via the
vets office --

We will be testing both groups again in 90 days to make sure there was no
exposure from the Manchester seizure ferrets -- but so far we are looking
good.  Provided these test remain stable adoptions can resume in 90 days.
Ferret Wise has been testing intakes since NO 99 in the hopes of reducing
risks to ferrets and families who adopt.  Though a very major financial
burden on top of regular vaccinations, rehabilitative care and surgeries -
we have felt there was no sense treating the ferret if there were unknowns
about the health which could be effected by the treatment.

Thus we remain hopeful we can continue to administer for those ferrets
directed here from domestic violence cases, from abuse & neglect
seizures -- so that these ferrets may once again be able to trust and
live with humans.  For those close who knew of our stressful situation--
Thanks for keeping our kids in your thoughts & prayers.

We now hope Dr Stevenson at U of Ga can make sense of the one ferret from
the group which tested pos 3.5 weeks after transfer to hospice care.  We
hope this is another erroneous reading on the POCT and that she will find
the ferret is not ADV pos-- but we all are remaining as calm as possible
until the results are in.

We have more ebay auctions running to help us pay for the current and
necessary ongoing testing here at Ferret Wise.  Due to circumstances and
distance hospice homes we need to work through 3 different vets--
therefore the bills tend to be a little more than utilizing a single
facility!  Presently no intakes are allowed UNLESS they are tested through
or vet via United CIEP and prove negative .  We cannot take further risks
posed by the POCT.

Today Lucky will be having surgery - tomorrow Curly and Phoenix will
shortly be having several sizeable hair-balls removed from his belly
too - Jerimiah will be posting about all the big belly balls found in
the Manchester ferrets shortly - please stay tuned!

Thanks all for your thoughts and prayers- we are hopeful we will remain
at business as usual- meanwhile Jerimiah and company has been indulging
in Foamy Fries and Cheerio's due to the overbearing guilt his shelter Mom
was feeling!

:)

Alicia for the many faces at Ferret Wise
www.ferretwise.org
Ferret Wise is a 501c3 organization. Donations to help offset ADV testing
and rehabilitation are greatly appreciated.