From:
Barbkitty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:57:16 -0500
Hello ferret lovers!

Some one asked about the three big flea controls and their comparitive
advantages.  Here's my take on that:

Program: Good stuff.  It's been used for ferrets for quite a while, so it is
almost certainly safe.  The main problem would be getting it into the
ferret.  The liquid stuff doesn't taste too good (according to several cats
I know) and most of us don't feed our ferrets wet food anyway.  It's also
pretty tough to "pill" a ferret.

Frontline: It's what I use.  It's been working great and is the most
economical.  It lasts for three months, and doesn't wash off, doesn't lick
off.  It's safe for kittens, and I know many people who use it on their
ferrets too.  Haven't heard of any problems.

Advantage: Sux.  (IMHO, of course :-)) It is more expensive than the other
two, it only lasts for a month, and you have to keep the animal from licking
itself for about an hour after you put it on.  I went to a seminar about it
and every time someone asked a question, the answer was "Uh, we haven't
researched that yet".  Including a question about whether it was safe for
ferrets.  I was really not impressed.  It may be easier to put on the ferret
than frontline and doesn't involve pilling, and it looks cool coming out of
the tube.  That's about the only "advantages" I see.

The expenses of ferrets:
I noticed someone saying that they could not afford a pair of ferrets they
wanted from a shelter, and BIG pointed out that having a ferret is sometimes
more expensive than buying them... Might I suggest this person apply for a
credit card?  I'm not made of money myself, and I really don't think there
are that many ferrets owners who have a few hundred dollars laying around
just in case something happens.  It constantly amazes me when some guy
brings their pet into the vet clinic after it's been hit by a car, then
looks at their biil and says, $200!!!  I can't afford that!  And I have to
pay half of it now!" And they drove in in a '96 Mustang and have on a Tommy
Hilfiger shirt and $100 Nike's.  So many people actually act like the vets
are horrible, cruel people for making them pay.  Sorry, I've gone on a
terrible tangent... and I'm more than likely preaching to the choir.  I'll
get off my soap box now, but my point is that your ferrets will more than
likely cost you more than you really want to spend.  I have a credit card
which I rarely use, and save it for emergencies.  Get one, hide it from
yourself, find a vet who takes it.  That's all I have to say about that.

        Kisses to yer fuzzy ones--
                --Barbara Thomas

[Moderator's note: OK, here are some opinions of my own to add to the flea
product debate:

Program circulates in the blood, so it requires that fleas actually bite.
And it doesn't kill the biter but just keeps the flea's offspring from
maturing.  So it's a long term help, not a short term fix.

Advantage is applied to the shoulder blades since it's pretty difficult for
an animal to lick it off from there.  (Though we all know how ferrets can
twist.)  Takes some time to distribute itself throughout the fur.  But all
reports I've heard is that it works VERY well.

Frontline works VERY well too.  Takes a little while to dry, and then after
that it's quite water resistant thus may last longer than Advantage.  It's
alcohol based, so it stinks a bit and is flammable till it dries.  I've
never heard of a reaction to it, but note if your ferret DOES have a
reaction, the fact that it's water resistant complicates things some.

NONE of these products are apporoved for use in ferrets, though I know of
MANY people using one or more of them on ferrets with no problem.  BIG]