Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 15:42:57 -0500
I was glad to see Kymberlie Becker's post re: getting a ferret from the pet
store.  On a couple of occasions I had the feeling I was supposed to
apologize for getting mine there.  I had only heard about them on the radio
and had never seen a ferret.  The only thing I had on my mind was buying
PetTabs for the dog, when I saw a glass bin with MF ferrets for sale and had
to look.  It had no cover and they said it was alright to pick them up.  My
baby (to be) came over to investigate and after a while I put her back and
walked away only go back a few times to look again.  The last time I stopped
little kids were poking and playing roughly with them.  Looked for the clerk
and complained and asked if she could please get "my little one" from out of
the hands of one of the kids.  She did and Cosina hasn't known anything but
love since.  I couldn't leave that place without her.  It is easy see how a
baby could become a biter under those conditions.  Thank God for ferret web
pages and chat to teach me.  When I wanted to get her a buddy, the shelter
in Miami had just battled ECE and couldn't adopt to me.  I waited but wound
up at the pet store again so she wouldn't be alone while I was at work.  Kym
is right, pet store ferrets do not have the love of shelter Moms.  Even the
texture of Cosina and Tina's fur changed with a good diet.  I wonder what
they were feeding them.  Ferret math is striking and there will be another
but this time we will wait until one is available in the shelter near me.  I
guess my point is Cosina felt more like a rescue than a purchase.  How can
anything so small give so much happiness.  Its kind of a catch twenty two
situation.  They all need loving homes.

Peggy
 Ferrets & pets at
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/8901/