From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 06:54:47 -0500
As far as I can tell - at least in NYS - there is no law that defines a
minimum age to sell kits, puppies, kittens, etc.

I have talked with Animal Control, the Humane Society, Society for Cruelty
to Aniamls, local Animal Rights' people, dog breeders, vets, even Albany
(boy what a waste of time *that* was!)

The concensus is that if there was a minimun age requirement, then those who
foster orphaned babies would be in violation of the law (personally, I don't
see how, since no one in their right mind would SELL an unweaned, 2 wk old
baby anything!  - well.....on 2nd thought.......)

I don't let my kits go until 10 weeks of age - maybe to an experienced owner
and a kit that's 'ahead' of the others, I might let go at 9 weeks, but
certainly no younger than that.

If pet stores are selling 6 week old kits, then these kits most likely were
spayed/neutered at 4 wks of age or so, sutures out a week later, then on to
the pet stores.

No one should even *think* about weaning baby ferrets until they are about 4
or 5 wks of age - my babies show interest in food (well, non-mother type of
food anyway) at about 3 wks of age or so, but that doesn't mean they should
be weaned at that age.

In the wild, polecats, etc, bring food to the den, and the babies suck on
it, but they don't really eat it.  I equate this interest in ferret food at
3 wks as a similar activity - but baby ferrets need their mother's milk -
which is very high in fat BTW - for longer than 3 wks.

Weaning too soon can cause digestive problems as well as prolapsed rectums.

While ferret farms such as Marshall Farms and Path Valley have been letting
kits go at such a young age for years, it really bothers me when I hear of
private breeders who do the same - private breeders have an opportunity to
'do the right thing' and while some do, many don't.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY