From:
Michelle Reed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 18:30:43 EST
Hello everyone- have a strange question.  Please e-mail me with response
as I have not yet recieved my sign-on info.  I was wondering if anyone
has heard of some sort of virus/infection which can cause an insulinomic
reaction.  I have 3 ferrets who have had seizures or comatose states in
the past 2 months.  The only other symptom, which started 2 weeks after
the seizures, is diarrhea which has been solved with Metronidazole and
Diaransyl.  None have had the fasting test for insulinoma but all have
had bloodwork done which shows low glucose levels.  I plan on doing the
testing but I find it hard to believe that all 3 would develop insulinoma
at once.  They are being maintained with regular gruel feedings and one
with Azium in addition to the gruel.  2 out of the 3 have a healthy
appetite for their regular kibble.  Their diet has not been changed
recently and I do not feed them treats.  Had to rush one little girl to
the vet today in a horrible seizure- when tested her glucose level came
up at a level of 16!!!  (not sure if it was a panel or glucometer test).
Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,
Michelle