From:
Peri Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:30:45 -0700
antibiotic (for Great Dane):

Good HEAVENS!  $150.00 for two weeks worth of the least expensive?????
We just had my husbands LARGE husky biopsied, and the entire medical bill
came to $250 (which included pre-op, op, & post-op anaesthesia, overnight
boarding, blood labs, surgery, biopsy labs post-op pennecillin shot and a
week's worth of antibiotic.  Of the $250, only $1.98 was the week of
antibiotic ... 14 capsules of 500 mg. Cephalexin.

BTW, it would be interesting to see if veterinary medical rates vary by
TYPE of animal.  Is it possible that fettets actually cost more than
other animals receiving the same services due to the perception that they
are "exotic?"  Just an interesting question I thought I'd toss out there.
I've been fortunate enough (knock LOTS of wood!) to not have adrenals,
lymphoma, etc.  to deal with with my guys.  Other than one oldster who
died happily in his sleep, and the one nasty trauma death of Hamza, my
guys have all been just vaccinations (no low-cost shot fairs for these
guys, and none available) and check-ups!  Muki is soon due for his
neutering, and I expect it will be more expensive than feline or canine
(and no low-cost options for ferrets here, either) ... but what about
other medical services?

Peri
(Mr. Jelly Roll, Toast, Muki da Mukster & mom-in-law's boy Jasper)