From:
Cynthia Suzanne Bentley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:02:53 -0800
Gina,
Just a comment regarding your experience with the allergic reactions to
Taylor's shots.  My oldest ferret Sammy never had any reactions to shots
until 2 years ago.  He didn't have a reaction to rabies but to the
distemper shot.  Luckily I am a talker and we were still in the vet's
office when he went into full anaphlectic shock, he received a shot of
benadryl and steroids and spent the night and next day in intensive care.

Fortunately he made a full recovery.  The next time the shots came around
we pre-medicated for 3 days prior with benadryl and waited 45 minutes in
the office, it reduced his reaction to vomiting and a quick steroid shot
stopped any further complications.  Now we have decided that we will be
premedicating with benadryl and giving him steriod shots a week prior to
vaccines.  So, I guess the point of my story is that no matter how many
times they get vaccines you can always have a reaction, thank goodness I
like to talk and now we wait at least and hour in the office waiting room
and monitor all our kids.  It's horrible to lean this the hard way!

Cindy and the horde