Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 11:54:56 EST
Moderator's note: OK, here we go again.  Every couple of months the
Marshall Farms debates start, proceed for a few days, begin to turn ugly,
and finally get halted.

Paul wrote the following based upon material found on several web sites.
(I asked.)  I certainly don't wish to inhibit healthy debate, so every few
months I allow such posts.  But those of you who have been subscribed for a
while know we've been through this before -- as soon as it turns to flames
I will put out the fire (by declaring the topic closed).  Thanks!  BIGŁ

To Ferret Lovers Everywhere,

I would like to take this opportunity to share some vital information about
Marshall Farms, the single largest pet ferret distributor in the United
States.

Marshall Farms has been cited repeatedly for violating the bare minimum
requirements of the federal Animal Welfare Act (AWA) including inadequate
veterinary care, transport violations, improper sanitation, and inadequate
space.  Two complaints have been filed with the New York State Education
Department's Office of Professional Discipline because Marshall Farms uses
non-veterinarians to perform surgeries on thousands of ferrets each year
despite the American Veterinary Medical Association's (AVMA's) condemnation
of such practices.

Transport conditions from Marshall Farms to pet stores are often so
deplorable that many ferrets die or become ill en route.  In such cases,
the pet stores merely ask Marshall Farms for replacements.

Marshall Farms spays, neuters, and de-scents its ferrets at an extremely
early age so that they can be shipped to pet stores while they are still
young and "cute."  Veterinarians have criticized this early surgery because
ferrets often develop medical problems as a result and die prematurely.

Marshall Farms engages in closed colony breeding; that is, that they don't
periodically introduce new breeding stock into their population.  Closed
colony breeding by America's ferret farms is believed to be at least partly
responsible for the excessive incidence of a number of serious health
problems, enormous veterinary bills for owners, and thousands of tragically
premature deaths.  The most common pathologies associated with ferret-mill
stock are cancers, adrenal malignancies, lymphosarcoma, and insulinoma.

Marshal Farms engages in breeding practices that place an unhealthy strain
on their jills.  They use altered lighting to bring them into heat three
times a year so that they can maximize their production at the expense of
the health of their breeders.  Typically, this treatment results in three
years of productivity after which time Marshall Farms destroys them as they
are no longer profitable commodities.

Furthermore, Marshall Farms sells many of its animals to research
companies.  In addition to being the largest distributor of ferrets for
pets, it is also the largest distributor of ferrets to laboratories.
Animals that are used in research are subjected to the most atrocious and
vile conditions and treatments.  Cruel practices such as toxicity tests,
for which there are humane alternatives, are routine procedures.  These
tests typically involve the introduction of a chemical substance by forcing
a tube into the animals' stomachs or through holes cut into their throats.
Chemicals may also be injected under the skin, into a vein, or into the
lining of the abdomen; mixed into food; inhaled through a gas mask; or
introduced into the eyes, rectum, or vagina.  Toxicologists then observe
the animals' reactions that can include convulsions, labored breathing,
diarrhea, constipation, emaciation, skin eruptions, abnormal posture, and
bleeding from the eyes, nose, or mouth.  Anesthesia is often not even
administered.

I am trying to raise awareness of this situation in the ferret-friendly
community.  I intend to boycott Marshall Farms' goods and services, and I
encourage anyone who has an interest in the welfare and well being of
ferrets to do so as well.

You can make a difference!  Adopt ferrets from shelters or small breeders
who care about their animals rather than buying them from pet stores.  You
can tell if a ferret is from Marshall Farms by the two blue tattoo dots
on their ears.  Don't buy Marshall Farms products.  Write letters to pet
stores and pet supply distributors urging them to boycott Marshall Farms.
And let Marshall Farms know that you, as responsible consumers, refuse to
turn a blind eye to their atrocities.

If you have any questions about my sources or would like to know more about
Marshall Farms' practices, I welcome your correspondence.

Sincerely,

Paul W. Brotcke