From:
"Anon Anon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 1988 14:33:18 -0500
On the subject of Margaret's impression of hunting ferrets in England during
the war: Much of what she perceived may be a valid impression OF HUNTING
FERRETS. I think much (if not all) of what people know, may be the image of
trying to make a pet out of a creature that was bred for hunting. We should
make known to the world that "Pet-stock" ferrets are selectively bred to be
good pets, and are not Fitches. In England there are people who selectively
breed for hunting. The result is like when people sterotype all doberman
pincers as "savage attack dogs" (think of that snarling, salavating face!)
when many are raised as docile pets for families/children. Of course some are
run through a brutal "boot camp" to attack practically anything that moves
(and selectively bred that way through unscrupulous breeders). Guess what image
sticks in the public's mind?

Many people have come up to me, to tell me about the British fad called
"ferret legging" (a novelty at pubs where people see how long they can keep 2
ferrets down inside their loose fitting trousers). They have visions of a
savage pirannah_beast biting & clawing away ones private parts, in an attempt
to get out. Humane issues aside, I tell them if my ferrets were used, people
would fall asleep in bordom, as my ferrets would most likely curl up around
the participants ankles and fall asleep! I don't think I would make such a
bold statement if someone was talking about using hunting ferrets though!

Knowing my pets, I know I can hold them up to my face with complete safety
(other than being licked to-death!). I'm sure most of you can boast the
same, but would you try this with a unknown hunting ferret?

So the bottom line is we should not even try to defend hunting ferrets as
being docile, but distinguish them from our "pet-grade" ferrets which are not
fitches. Know your breeder/pet store!