Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 13:25:33 -0400
The Ferret Shelters Directory project is now open for any ferret
shelter worldwide to register. This is a totally new type of directory
established as a collaboration by Support Our Shelters (SOS) and the
Ferret Association of Connecticut (FACT). It is also going to be a
portal dedicated and operated by ferret shelters. You can read more
about it at the link below.

The Directory is going to be replacing the current SOS listing. The
Directory website has full details under Shelter Help on 1) how to
register and 2) how to post your shelter. It IS more involved but
will be worth the effort. We have help available to those who need it.
Contact Dianna Desrochers or Ann Gruden via PM or leave a message on
the Ferret Shelters Directory FB page and we will be in touch to give
you a hand. Please at least register for an id and password to the
site first.

For the public we trust it will give people an alternative to the
craigslist" ads that so many here in the US have grown to fear. Please
check it out. If you are not a shelter, please share it with any
shelter you know that adopts out ferrets even if they are not just a
"ferret" shelter. This directory is for ANY organization that rehomes
ferrets - including local humane groups, spca's, vet offices. Please
ask them to sign up, the website IS for them as well. The goal is to
get ferrets homes no matter who is doing the rehoming! It will also
allow us to distribute critical ferret information locally, nationally,
internationally as needed direct to the people who need it and/or rally
help when needed for a disaster or major rescue event.

For those wondering, what SOS and FACT will be doing is contacting
shelters on SOS's current list who have not registered by that date
and verifying if they still exist and helping those that do register.
We also have an extensive out-reach plan for ferret and multi-specie
shelters that are not on the SOS list.

As we indicated, it is NOT necessary for a shelter to have a public
profile.

The directory database has two purposes. In addition to having a public
profile for people to search, it is also going to become SOS's "behind
the scenes" source for maintaining information about US ferret
shelters. There is a completely private, DO NOT PUBLISH option for
those who have permanently closed their doors, but still want and/or
need to maintain connectivity to the ferret sheltering community and
the resources of SOS. Eventually, we hope this is also going to become
a portal for those who are considering opening a shelter but who have
not yet made that commitment.

In the meantime, thank you to all those shelters who have taken the
time out of their busy and important work to register. Feel free to
ask for help - it still may take us 24-48 hours to get to you -- but
we will!

Ann Gruden
Ferret Association of Connecticut &

Dianna Desrochers