From:
Z zzzzzzz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 06:46:04 PDT
Lynn M. wrote yesterday:
>By the way, blockages that may not show up on x-ray may be found when
>barium is swallowed first and the barium followed through the system via a
>series of x-rays.

I just wanted to point out that in my experience, this is not always true--
there are some blockages that just don't show up, period.  Amelia's
blockage a couple of years ago showed no sign at all on the x-rays, not
even in the form of gas bubbles around the blockage.  She was completely
stoppered up by a little rubberized felt pad, the same kind of thing that
Katie's Worf was blocked by (everybody take Katie's warning on that to
heart, those things cause serious blockages when ingested!).  No disrespect
intended to Lynn here (really this thread has little to do with her
original, sad post)-- my Cully likes popping balloons too, and sometimes
I'll vigilantly let him-- I'll tell him to pop one for Tarzan!  I just
wanted to share my x-ray experience.  X-rays can help, but my rule of thumb
as a result of that incident is that if ever again one of my ferrets is
acting like there's a blockage, then I'll talk to the vet about exploratory
surgery while the ferret is still relatively strong.

Regina

Regina Harrison
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083
Electra the Brujah's page:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Labyrinth/8096

... i like today, there's a gleam about it ... {The Cranes}