Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:27:35 -0400
Hi everyone,

We were able to bring Daisy home from the vet yesterday.  She had surgery
on her stomach for a foreign body which although wasn't a "blockage" it
caused her untold misery, poor little thing.  She didn't fit classic
blockage symptoms, i.e. she was eating and pooping (some, but not much) and
vomiting some.  The vet found a foam earplug in her stomach which we can
only assume she stole from my husband's briefcase (which will be securely
ZIPPED from now on).

Now Daisy is confined to her cage for the next two days, with very short
play periods limited to no climbing.  We didn't put Meep in with her at
first after hearing all the bad experiences some people had when they
brought a ferret back from a time at the vet.  Daisy was unhappy,
frustrated, and then....MAD that she wasn't allowed out of her cage.  Meep
was about the same when he wasn't allowed in the cage.  Finally I put him
in this morning and they are curled up like two "mealy worms" (description
from a little boy at the vet!) and sleeping together.

Many thanks to all who e-mailed us with suggestions and support.  I am so
thankful to the FML for what I've learned and for all the friends we've
made.  And to anyone who lives within driving distance of Essex Junction
(North of Burlington, VT) - I was VERY impressed with the husband/wife team
of Francois and Elizabeth Miquel.  They very obviously ADORE ferrets.  There
were ferrets going out when we came in, a ferret coming in when we went
out...... Francois took Daisy home with him so he could watch her closely
over the weekend, and called me daily with reports on her.  Even though it
is and hour and a half trip for me, that is where Daisy and Meep will be
going from now on.

Just a couple of "fun" notes about Meep while Daisy was gone.  He obviously
had "time on his hands" with no buddy to run with.  He brought balls to be
tossed (that was a first!).  He climbed up on my daughter's bed and stole
her fleece blanket.  Pretty funny seeing this barely 2 lb ferret hauling his
"blankie" down the hall.  Then I came to get on the computer earlier this
morning and heard this funny, squishy plastic noise.  He had stolen a loaf
of bread and had managed to squish, mash, pull, push, whatever it UNDER the
computer hutch.  Mind you he won't eat bread when offered to him anyway!

Karla