From:
Warm Fuzzies Ferret Rescue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2009 15:15:43 -0800
>I have a 24" x 24" x 48" cage for my 2 ferrets, it was originally a
>chinchilla cage but I put down congoleum on the wired floors and
>carpeted the 2 ramps. It is a real pain to get to the litter box on
>the bottom floor, and to take the box out I have to turn it a bit
>sideways to get it through the door. I might be adding a 3rd ferret to
>our home, and need a recommendation of a good cage, is the same size
>adequate for 3 fuzzbutts? (They get out of cage for playtime 2x a day
>for 2 hrs. each time). I would like a cage that has solid floors (no
>wiring) and a big enough door to easily take out litter box. Any
>suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Leah,
Needed recommendation of a good cage:

In our opinion, Midwest Ferret Mansion cages are good, and they fold
up, for use later, if needed. They also can be divided with a little
jeri rigging, for multiple groups or a little sick one.

But the best cage on the market right now and the only one we use on a
regular basis, for our rescue, is the Ferret Nation Cage. They are the
easiest to clean and the easiest on the fuzzies foot. Also, several
people and companies are now making bedding to fit the ferret nation
cage (like cage mats and such).

We just adopted out 2 ferrets whose owners went out and bought the
Ferret Nation Cage for them. Yeeee HAH! It's a huge cage for only 2
ferrets. It would be great for 3, because logically you can fit 3-4
into one half of the two story. We jeri rigged 2 Ferret Nation cages
together, end to end, Took out the side pieces on the second level.
We then zip tied the two sides together as well as the bottom story.
Put one of the side pieces on top for more strength and zipped it into
place. Finished product is for 9 ferrets in a 6 long, 2 feet deep, and
6 foot high cage.

It's a huge cage with the ability to close off one or both of the
bottom sections for a sick or agressive ferret.

Although, it is quite pricey, (but, still about 100.00 cheaper than
when we first bought them) I have found the smaller the cages, to be
more problematic if something happens and no one is able to let the
ferrets out for their play time. A larger cage makes it somewhat easier
to not worry so much if we miss a day, if one of us ends up in the
hospital or some other emergency happens. In the 5 years of being a
rescue in New Mexico and now in Michigan, we have only ever missed 2
days of not letting ferrets out, because of emergencies.

Michelle DeVos
Warm Fuzzies Ferret Rescue