From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 15:35:42 -0700
>From:    MS MARY M MCCARTHY <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Adrenal(Ligation)
>
>Just wanted to mention that where I work,- Dr.Edwards has done a rightsided
>adrenal removal and vena cava ligation on a ferret that we would have
>normally just "closed back up" after seeing the tumor totally wrapped around
>the blood vessel the way it was.....But Dr.Williams said "there is no such
>thing as a non-removalable adrenal gland because the vena-cava can handle
>being ligated." ("enough other little vessels to make up for the big one
>being ligated".) So we did our first ligation about a month ago and just
>wanted to comment that she is doing very well...

Hi there Mary.  Our adrenal group is following vena cava ligations with
interest and hope.  Please do post again to the FML and let us know how the
ferret(s) does post sugery?  I would like to post your info to the Adrenal
List if you don't mind, this message and following messages about your vet's
work.  Please let me know if that isn't okay.

Also, would your vet be willing to post or send some written information
about vena cava ligations?  Such as how it's done, how many have been done,
and prognosis for ferrets who have had this procedure done?

I've posted information about the Adrenal List in another message in this
FML about adrenal issues, so if anyone is interested please see that
message.

Thank You,

Lynn