From:
Jeanne Carley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 03:29:28 -0400
Dear FMLers and CA UPDATE Folks,

Effective immediately I am resigning my position as Legislative Director of
the California Domestic Ferret Association.  My father and I have been
extremely active in ferret legalization and will continue in that endeavor
with an umbrella organization, Californians For Ferret Legalization.  My
working relationship with Jan Goldsmith (our Assembly author), Quentin Kopp
(our Senate author), Dick Schumacher (Executive Director of the California
Veterinary Medical Association), and Bob Naylor (our lobbyist) remains firm
and unchanged.

Californians For Ferret Legalization has already made its presence heard in
the national arena by sending over 600 letters to veterinarians asking for
their help by writing the Rabies Compendium Committee advising them of the
need for a quarentine time for vaccinated ferrets that bite.  Our next
appearance will be at the WWPSA trade show in San Mateo in conjunction with
the Golden State Ferret Society.

In addition to Californians For Ferret Legalization, whose existence should
be short term, my father and I are in the process of setting up a 501(c)3
corporation dedicated to the welfare of ferrets.  We have $50,000 in
matching funds for an expected eventual endowment of $100,000.00.  We've
seen ferret clubs and shelters all over the country work hard and spend
valuable resources in the creation of important ferret educational
brochures.  Our goal is to offer some relief for clubs in this area by
producing materials educating potential ferret owners of the special
behavioral and physical needs of the ferret in an attempt to prevent
unwanted and abandoned animals.  We also intend to make charitable
contributions to qualifying shelters in need of financial support.

I'm looking forward to a continued presence in the legalization efforts here
in California with Californians For Ferret Legalization.  I'm also very
excited about my family's foundation dedicated to bettering the lives of
this special little animal.  It will be a legacy of our shared love of the
domesticated ferret, and we look forward to working with so many of you who
share that love.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Carley

P.S.  I may be moving to a new internet service and will change my e-mail
address when I make that change.  Until then, I can still be reached at