From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 00:02:06 -0400
Dr. Strickland of Leesburg (VA) Veterinary Hospital has asked some local
breeders to pass along information about Fervac Vaccine and reactions.

Local breeders Bill and Glenna Hudson have been working with Dr.
Strickland.  They recently had a severe and two mild reactions when
vaccinating ferrets - all involved bloody stools and some vomiting.

Dr. Strickland called United Vaccines.  A Dr. Curlee there and Dr.
Strickland have information they want passed along.  Report all reactions
to Fervac DIRECTLY to Dr. Curlee - call United Vaccines and ask for Dr.
Curlee - only number I have is 1-800-283-6465.  Uniteds information is
that reactions occur only .004 (0.4%) of the time.  Dr. Strickland has
had reactions in approaching .25 (25%) of the time.  Report all reactions
mild or serious - United has heard there were problems but is not getting
the information directly.  Either the owner or the Vet can call.

Fervac is much like the mink vaccine that United has been selling for 25
years.  They have not had much reaction in the mink in all that time.
Marshall Farms I believe uses a mink vaccine only because of packaging -
Fervac only comes in single dosage vials which is not suitable for
thousands of ferrets.  Mink vaccine would therefore seem more suitable
than dog vaccine if Fervac is unavailable.

Advice from Drs.  Strickland and Curlee is to administer 0.2 ccs of Benedryl
an hour before vaccination with Fervac.  The hour gives time to know that
any reaction is not due to the Benedryl.  They definitely advise not to give
Rabies and Distemper vaccines at the same time - again to isolate the
substances that could cause a reaction.  Perhaps a vet can comment on the
0.2 dosage and the 0.5 of Childrens benedryl previously advised here.

Information to be used very carefully: There is a test called something like
"antibody-titer" test (I only heard this spoken so I can not vouch for the
spelling).  If the result of this test is high enough than a vaccination for
a ferret that has previously had a reaction can be avoided.  The test would
cost about $30 dollars from Dr.  Strickland - I can't vouch for the price at
another vet.

United has also determined that it is possible for ferrets to pass on
immunities to Distemper as they shed them in their stools and such.  This
would only be useful to those with many ferrets.  And only for those who
do not have dogs and cats going in and out that could bring in the virus
in larger quantities.  And only for those ferrets that do not get out in
public.

Perhaps any of the veterinations we have on the list can call Dr. Curlee
or Dr. Strickland (703)777-3313 and get a better take on this information.
This advice is also similar to that which has previously been posted by
our own vets and others here.

Our thanks to the Hudsons for getting this information.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets