From:
blaraway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 13:50:25 -0500
I tried to send this to Rhiannon but it bounced back.  So you all get to
read this if you want.  Some of this has been here several times over the
last four or so years.

First thing, most ferrets that bite are scared, or were abused, and not
trusting and ofcourse death or blind.  You have to gain her trust threw
play.  My wife and I saved a ferret Tasha from death.  I mean this little
terror bit me so hard several times twice to the bone and once the only
thing that prevented her canines from coming together was my finger nail.
Right threw the finger almost.  She had done this to quite a few people at
the shelter.  They realy were going to put her down.  I told them I would
train her.  I couldn't using all the methods tried and true.  It just made
her bite harder.  You know flick the nose and such.  Flicking her nose with
your finger made the bite go from a miner puncture wound to a down right
nasty one.

Well my wife/girl friend at the time started to play with her threw a
plastic bag, pillow case and such.  Never letting Tasha get her teeth into
her.  She would pick her up in different packages.  Bags, pillow cases,
towels and pet her threw it.  after several months we had a loving trusting
ferret.  She would still nip me from time to time, but never drew blood,
again.  She would not nip my wife.  In fact I was very impressed with Donna,
she didn't realy even know much about what a ferret was for the most part
when she help save Tasha.  Tasha lived for three more years in a very loving
environment.  She came to us at around three, and badly abused.  She was so
stressed out, she was almost completely bald when we got her.  Good luck.

Oh ya I got another biter from the shelter.  Marie.  She only bites me now.
I don't understand, I feed, and wash her, empty litter boxies, let her out
to play, and I'm the one she bites.  All's Donna does is play with her.
Well atleast she doesn't draw blood, and has gotten alot better in the six
months we've had her.  It's not realy a bite it's more of a stern nip.
She's gained weight and her coat is looking like she's a youngster.  She's
somewhere around 4 or 5'sh.  I can't wait to show her off to the shelter
soon.

One good thing about taking shelter ferrets that bite, is we get them very
cheep.  Two out of my last three ferrets were biters.  When ever they have
one that won't stop biting Donna and I are the sucker's that get them.  :-)
It's a dirty job, but we give these hopeless biters a loving place to live.
Plus we help the shelter.  You don't want some one getting bit accidentally
while looking to adopt a loving companion.  Once again good luck and I hope
you have as much if not more success than we have.  Well as Donna has.

I also would like to wish Kevin and DD Glaser, as well as Ms Baxter lots of
success.  Today 2/4 they are in the state capital talking in front of the
State House Committee.  Trying to get the Minie(sp) Baxter bill to the house
floor.  This bill will make it law to treat ferrets like cats and dogs in
bite cases.  This will help save ferrets lives in Florida.  Miss.  Baxter
lost her ferret to the CFDC do to a bite.  The kit was not even old enough
for a rabies vaccine.

 Brad, Donna, Taz the spaz, and Marie.

 Have you ever danced with a ferret under the light of a full moon? I have.