From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 23:08:52 -0400
Hello All -

The Ferret Association of Connecticut is currently seeking information
on direct ferret aid needs in states affected by Katrina - particularly
Louisiana and Mississippi.  We plan to include a list of donation options
on our web site front page.

Presently we are only aware of 2 major animal welfare groups - HSUS
and North Shore Animal League - that are actively seeking donations
generically for animals affected by Katrina.  I would appreciate any
information on others.

Has anyone heard from any of the shelters in the immediate area or
received any specific requests for aid?  Is anyone aware of any shelters
bordering the area that may be in a position to offer temporary housing
or care to any ferrets that may have been evacuated.

Realistically, given the extent of the human tragedy that continues to
unfold, we can only hope that the need for specific, immediate ferret
help is small.  However, as the lines of communication reopen and
evacuees and displaced people begin to seek services and help, I suspect
the need will grow quickly.  Those who may have been able to escape with
their families and pets will have nothing - no cages, bedding, food or
medication.  Nor will they have the funds for veterinary support.  I
think we have to opportunity to begin to anticipate those needs and start
planning for them now and connect with established shelters in the region
that will most likely be at the forefront of providing needed services.

Thoughts, ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

In the interim - FACT - as a 501(c) non-profit - is setting up a
dedicated Katrina Ferret Relief Fund and will be going to our board with
a request to establish a matching fund challenge to help raise the funds
that will be needed moving forward.  We will post details as soon as
possible on our website.

As for the SOS funds -- just a thought.  I suspect there are many
shelters in the US that depend on SOS's generosity each year and
their needs also need to to anticipated.

I do know that the generosity of the ferret community and their
dedication is almost unprecedented.

As a new poster, Bill, hope I haven't overstepped anywhere!  If so -
just put me on poop paper duty!  What's a bit more!

Ann Gruden
President, Ferret Association of Connecticut, Inc.

BTW - we are very close to having taken in 1,000 ferrets since our
founding in January, 1991.