From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 22:55:49 -0400
Condolences to those with lost, sick, or missing BounceBounceBouncers...
and those lost or missing in the attack on New York and the Pentagon...

Taz, my non-ferret ferret, had barrier on the brain.  When he is in his
room for the evening (he has run of the house from bedtime until I come
home from work, then he cruises his room while the rest come up and
observe him and romp around the house), he knows that the barrier is there
and that he can go look through the barrier at the zoo patrons.  Its clear
plexiglas, so everyone can see everyone else.  Taz has gotten used to this
barrier and occasionally teases his audience.

Last night, after putting everyone to bed, I removed his barrier so he
could surf his turf again.  However, he didn't notice that the barrier was
gone.  So he came right to the edge of where the barrier normally is and
looked at me, then rolled over on his back and wiggled his nose and waved
his feet around.  Then he jumped up and chased his tail and bounced a few
times, all the while keeping just inside where the barrier normally is.
He was playing fit to join the circus.

What he failed to notice the whole time, was that there *was no barrier
there*!  After all of his antics, I reached down, picked him up and put
him down on the landing, outside of the area where his barrier sits.  He
slowly walked over, pawed the air where the barrier was supposed to be,
then looked at me like I was magic!

This evening, when I put up the barrier (he knows when to go up to his
room, so I usually don't need to carry him up), he was sleeping.  But when
he heard me heading down the stairs, he jumped up out of bed and decided
to come down and see what I was doing.  BONK!  Nose right into the
barrier!  He can't seem to tell when it's there, or when it's not!

I'm thinking...maybe if I put some stickers on the barrier, he can tell
when it's there?  Or maybe I can paint some "bars" on it so he'll know
when he's "on display" in the zoo and when he isn't! :)

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!
---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.netconex.com/toddl/page2/