From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:19:28 -0500
Poor Bill!  Being a moderator isn't easy, and not only doing it alone,
but also having a list with great latitude in the types of posts allowed
has got to make it a harder task still.  Then to top it off any list has
a lot of behind the scenes work.

I just wanted to say, Bill, that I think that you do a great job of
getting a balance to the list -- one which suits a wide range of tastes.

Of course, there is always the old saying the "The proof is in the
pudding." and that proof can be seen in the extreme longevity of the
FML.  Most lists do not last over a year and do not last over 1,000
members.  (Isn't it useful to know internet sociologists and internet
anthropologists?) The FML's first digest was on Dec 21, 19:14 1987 so it
is approaching it's 17th birthday in only 3 weeks (Everyone get cake,
balloons, and noise makers!), and Bill Gruber has been the moderator for
most of that time.  Before then he began the anonymous posting option
which was begun to protect those in FFZs (Ferret Free Zones -- places
where ferrets can't be legally had) which were far more numerous in the
past.  The number of subscribers has been in the thousands for many,
many years.

I think that the reason it keeps going is because usually there is
enough of a balance.  It has serious posts, fun posts, behavioral posts,
health posts, show posts, genetics posts, poetry contests (sometimes
specifically haiku or limmerick contests), seasonal stories, projects
of all sorts from helping with major rescues to changing laws and
regulations, shared silly stories, product tips, cautions, sympathy for
those in need, and so much more.  Not everything suits everyone, but
it's like a magazine that way.  People leaf past magazine articles which
don't interest them and on the FML they can scroll.  Nothing is ideal for
everyone, but by the measures of membership size and longevity the FML is
so unusually successful that I know it has been followed by some of those
aforementioned internet sociologists and anthropologists at times when
they needed to study what actually works.  In the world of the internet
the FML is an unmitigated success and virtually without peer!

We're a good crowd here; never forget that.  Tolerance is part of our
strength.

-- Sukie (the old fart who has been here forever and always)