From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:58:05 -0500
Dear Bob:

>My ferret, Sunny is behaving oddly.He will drink a little water and
>thenrun to the litter box where he will dig around a little, and then put
>his head down and raise his rump in the air.  After a few seconds he goes
>back to the water dish and repeats the process.  He is not pooping or
>peeing, though it looks as though that is what he wants to do.Also he does
>not want to be handled at all.  About two hours ago I found a very watery
>stool which I thought was his but another ferret was out at the same time.
>Sunny is 3 years old and was recently diagnosed with E.C.E.

I would concur with your intention of taking him to see the vet in the
morning.  The behavior is suggestive ofdifficulty either urinating or
defecating.  Actually, it can be very difficult to tell the difference
between the two.

I am more concerned right now about Sunny having difficulty urinating.
This may be a sign of adrenal disease, so look for other possible signs -
hair loss, aggression to cagemates, etc.  If he is having trouble peeing,
his bladder will be enlarged tomorrow morning when he goes to the vet.
If the vet can easily express it, that is very suggestive of
adrenal-realated cystic prostatic disease, and an adrenal workup is
indicated.  If it is a true urinary blockage, and the vet can't express
the urine from the bladder, then we think about bladder stones.

Now, since you have seen a very watery stool, we can't rule out continued
digestive problems.  Watery stools cause straining (although you wouldn't
think so) because there is no fecal mass for the walls of the rectum to
grab onto to push along.  But if there is urge, then there will be
straining and cramping.  One final possibility for straining would be a
foreign body which is (hopefully) moving along.  The last stages of the
passage of a foreign body may also cause straining, cramping, and loose,
foul-smelling stools.

As this is a potentially serious problems, let's leave off at this point,
and let your vet, who can do a better analysis of the problem, unravel
the mystery tomorrow AM.  Let's not wait any longer than that, though.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, dVM