From:
GJ Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 00:15:17 -0500
I've been lurking on this list for several months now.  I only own one
ferret, but he makes me feel like I own three at least.  I thought you might
enjoy hearing some stories about him, so here goes.

Ferrets are illegal in my hometown.  I had to travel two hours to Houston to
buy my ferret, and I had already decided to buy a slightly older ferret from
a pet store, one that was getting too big for them to keep in the store.
The salesman handed him to me, I held him up to my face, and he promptly
latched onto my nose with his teeth.  I was sold on him instantly.

Since then he's become the most well traveled ferret I know of.  He came on
the car trip with me from Texas to Georgia, 800 miles to school.  He got to
see some of the finest gas stations in the south, where natives surmised he
was everything from a squirrel to a racoon.He evacuated with me when the
hurricane was headed for Georgia.  He slept in the box spring of a fine
Atlanta hotel and wet all over the new Olympic fountain steps.  And he came
on the plane with me back to Texas in a carrier next to my seat.  I asked
what I should do with the cage in line for scanning luggage.  The airline
employee told me to take him out and send the cage through the scanner, but
when she saw what was in the cage, she shrieked, "Oh no, that things too
big, don't take him out of there!" One ferret alone made everyone in the
plane point and comment.

It's amazing how many people have never seen a ferret before.  But I've been
reading this list and there are still some behaviours I see in Kai that no
one else has mentioned.  Other owners say their ferrets steal socks.  Not
Kai.  I noticed my shoe was missing.  Then the other was gone.  My roomate
couldn't find her combat boots.  Where were they?  He was carrying them
under the bed, entire shoes at least as big as he is.  He does it regularly
now, right in front of me.

Does anyone else's ferret do this?  Kai is so crazy about soda that he will
do anything to reach cans on high shelves.  Once he has them, he tucks them
underneath his stomach and scoots backwards with his rear, arms wrapped
around the can!  He can't see where he's going when he does, and I once
watched him do four complete circles before he figred out he wasn't getting
anywhere!