Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 03:31:06 -0500
>All of them have quite a few ferrets in the shelter, high vet expenses
>they are having difficulty meeting, and have been part of the FML Shelter
>Update for a while.

In case I wasn't clear enough when I posted yesterday, I'll clarify how we
selected the shelters which received donations.  I sent a message to all the
shelters on my FML Shelter Update list (I think there are 51 on the list at
the moment) asking them to tell me whether they were in need of help at this
time.  You see, many of them just post to the Update so that you know who
they are, where they are, and what they are doing, so that you can find them
if you want.

I warned them to be honest ... not because I was afraid of being tricked
into giving money to someone who didn't need it, either :)  If you've been
on this list for a while, you can guess the problem.  "Well, I do have a
large outstanding vet bill and some ferrets needing surgery, but I'm sure
there are other people who need money more than I do, so please give the
donation to them." And I was right.  I got several of those.

Anyway, of the shelters which responded, more than half said they were doing
fine at the moment, or at least holding their own.  The others usually sent
specifics about what their needs are.  We gave them the choice of a check to
the vet, credit with Jeffers, or credit with The Ferret Store.  Out of this
group, we chose everyone who met the criteria I stated yesterday: quite a
few ferrets in the shelter (not personal ferrets), high vet expenses they
were having difficulty meeting, and being on the Update for a while.

I hope you feel we have used your generous gifts wisely and well.  We
certainly try to.

Judith White, Georgia Wood and Ela Heyn

 Ask me how to save money while supporting ferret shelters.

 1% of my monthly internet bill, 2% of my long distance
 and intrastate phone bill, and 1% of my calling card bill
 go to the FML Shelter Fund.  And the rates are great!!

 We also offer ferret coloring books and a booklet for the
 grocery store coupons of your choice to support shelters.