From:
Laryssa Nyland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:31:14 -0700
Again, this was not a 'rescue' it was a buyout, and a lot of people are
upset that it was done leaving behind hundreds of other ferrets.

What was the point? The point is to shut him down. I just wish someone
would say what the deal is with supporting taking many ferrets. Why
didn't they hardball and make him/her sign something. Obviously they
wanted the money and to sell the ferrets. This post is not about
rumors, we all know what has happened. I just would like to understand
why everyone didn't hold out. When you have someone like McKay willing
to sell, and they're pouring money into these ferrets, going down the
tubes, rescues and humane societies and animal shelters can't legally
do anything until the animals are abused to the point where they start
dying, and THEN the "shut-down" happens. It seemed that things were
getting worse on the farm.

Now, with 700 less ferrets approximately, things won't go down so fast.
The cycle can continue. I understand that everyone is happy that many
ferrets are saved, but sometimes things have to get worse before they
can get better. That is the way the law works. I felt like in a few
more months, especially with winter, the conditions would have been
legally bad enough to warrant legal action by the sheriff and
authorities. But now, that is most likely not the case.

I am not saying what happened is bad - it's good obviously, for the
ferrets that were bought. But not so great for the 50 - 200 that are
still on the farm, and for their offspring, which no doubt will be back
to 700 or more within a few years.

Unless there is something in the contract about limiting numbers, this
is still a major concern.

That being said, thank you Lori, for taking care of these fuzzbutts.
This is my last post on this. Good luck everyone with your work.

Laryssa