From:
"Heyn, Ela" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 10:10:51 -0400
>I am not sure what is in Essiac or how it is supposed to work.  however
>if your ferret is terminal then it will not hurt to try it

There is a Website which lists the Essiac ingredients and some information
on each of them at: www.cancer-info.com/ingredi.htm.

I've never actually used Essiac, so I can't offer any personal info.  on
how it works ..  but I know a lot of cancer patients do try it, and the
individual herbs that are in it are taken by many others for various health
complaints.  Anyway, here are the main ingredients, and a bit of info. on
each one:

The 4 main essiac ingredients (classified by the FDA as food items) are:
burdock root (arctium lappa), sheep sorrel (rumex acetosella), slippery elm
(ulmus fulva) and turkey rhubarb (rheum palmatum).  Some manufacturers add
extra herbs.

Burdock root (arctium lappa) - key constituents are bitter blycosides
(arctiopicrin), flavonoids (arctiin), tannins, polyacetylenes, volatile
oil, inulin (up to 45%) and sesquiterpenes.

The inulin is the principal active ingredient of the burdock root, and is
thought to attach itself to the surface of white blood cells and make them
more efficient.  Also, studies in Germany (1967) and Japan (1986) showed
that the polyacetylenes in burdock root have antibiotic effect.  Native
American Indians used to rely on burdock root as a food source during cold
winters.

Sheep sorrel (rumex acetosella) - key constituents are anthraquinones,
chrysophanol, emodin, physcion, and oxales.  Limited research has been
done on this herb.  It is known to be high in vitamins A, C, D, E, and K,
as well as the B vitamins.  (Vitamin A strengthens the immune system by
increasing the production of white blood cells and T cells, both of which
combat cancer).  It is also very rich in minerals including calcium, iron,
magnesium, silicon, sulfur, chlorine, and some iodine and zinc.  Other
important elements in sheep sorrel are the carotenoids and chlorophyll.

Slippery elm (ulmus fulva) - key constituents are mucilage, starch and
tannins.  There is also limited research on this herb.  The mucilage that
it contains simulates the natural mucilage present in the body, providing
a lubricating action that protects and softens the membrane linings in the
body.  This can be particularly important if these membranes are damaged
by chemotherapy and other cancer treatments.  The mucilage also helps to
"gather" toxic wastes in the body and discharge them.

Turkey rhubarb (rheum palmatum) - key constituents are anthraquinones
(about 3-5%), rhein, aloe-emodin, emodin, flavinoids (catechin), phenolic
acids, tannins (5-10%), and calcium oxalate.  The medicinal value of this
herb is due to the properties of the anthraquinones, which have a laxative
and purgative effect.  In large doses, the rhizome is strongly laxative,
helping to cleanse the digestive tract and eliminate toxic wastes.  This
herb is different from domestic rhubarb, which is the variety used to make
rhubarb pies.

- Ela