From:
"Montgomery, Vicki E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:27:57 -0600
PetCo stores are like any other business or chain - some are good and
some are not so good and that measurment is subjective.

Mood or attitudes often are determined by who is in charge.  For several
years employees were defensive and gave out a lot ofwrong information -
anything to make a sale.  Any one in rescue or that has been strongly
involved with ferrets knows this personally.  WE spread the word about
PetCo and PetCo heard us - probably echoing up from their bottomline.
As ferrets have become better known and better advertised in communities
ferret's needs have become better understood.  Pet shops/stores have an
informed public from which to hire better informed personnel.  And that
is why I think they seem to have changed a bit.

However, not all PetCo's or District Managers or Regional Companional
Animal Coordinators are fair or really caring in their jobs or to the
animals whose lives they touch.  This creates a fence that has to be
carefully walked by anyone who is trying to affect a change.  We don't
want to loose the people who are on the side of the animals, but we still
need to nudge certain people, places, events into line with what is best
for the animals and not what suits the business or bottom line or some
young upstart who is not mature enough to handle someone making a
suggestion.

My personal experience is that here in Houston, some employees really,
really care and want to do what is best, but some managers are very young
emotionally, others hard-headed, several seem to wear their feelings on
their shoulders and have a problem committing to the truth.  Arrogance
abounds - know it alls - 'don't challenge MY authority by asking too many
questions or making suggestions'.  And for those of you who know me, you
know that I do not like arrogance.  I have a total commune attitude where
I actually think everyone should be nice and treat each other nice and
honestly.  One should state one's opinion and stand by it until swayed
to think or feel differently, but do it honestly and do not hold grudges
just because someone thinks differently... that creates a cesspool of
hard feelings and division.  Shame on me for still holding on to and
expecting, from others, the values with which I was raised.  Fair play,
honesty, courtsey, you know... all that Christian stuff - without the
violence for the "my" team (crusades, inquisitions).

My point?  I personally asked a manager to not "adopt" ferrets out to
the public at large, I did this very gently because I realized that I had
no authority to dictate policy, but perhaps asking and offering a reason
why would be heard with an open mind.  WRONG!  This young woman had very
little animal background according to the Houston RCAC, but did have lots
of retail experience.  Also, to PetCo "adopt" is merely a euphemism for
give away... After she became defensive, then aggressive, when I asked
her what steps her employees took to ensure the ferrets were going to
knowledgable and financially stable homes (her reply - "we ask them to
bring in their children and a picture of the ferret's habitat"), I backed
off asking any more questions and turned to corporate to try to work with
all the PetCos; to secure a corporate policy of surrendering animal
returns to local rescues and not giving them away.  I was strung along
for over 3 1/2 months, I was given run around after run around.  I don't
know about you guys but I resent being handled.  Agree up front what all
parties will do and stick to that - do it!  This did not happen.

In trying to deal with PetCo on both a local level and on a corporate
level I have now been vilified and for lack of a better word insulted
(this too is subjective) - don't waste my time and don't lie to me - I
find it insulting.

I believe that corporately PetCo is still out for PetCo ONLY and not
animal welfare; that their new "face" is simply another ploy to gain
more than the Lion's share of the Pet Supply market.  Helping rescues..
that's great but remember the adage, "keep your friends close but keep
your enemies closer" they may just be doing that... rescues have
traditionally been PetCo'S enemy... we told the public to not shop there
and why -- I never said they were stupid people - and they will protect
their own paychecks.  As I've said before I believe their interest seems
not in what is best for an animal, but rather circling the wagons and
giving the public a nice smoke and mirror show to increase their sales.
Maybe there are truly concerned people in some stores, but after dealing
with some of the managers in the Houston area and with the corporate
managers, I believe this market is still only interested in money.

OK enough bitchin... I just thought I'd add my opinion that PetCo,
certainly corporately, is not really interested in the animals from any
point of view other than $$$$...

Vicki (sitting here with a burst bubble and broken heart for mankind)...