From:
"Charles Weiss D.V.M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 12:52:03 -0400
Bob,

I feel this is an important issue to address.  Although in my opinion
homeopathic remidies have their place in the medical care of people and
animals, I do not feel that this course of treatment are appropriate in the
treatment stomach ulcers.  Homeopathic treatment can be of benefit in
aiding in pain relief in certain arthritic processes, but are not cure all
treatments for any medical condition.  These over the counter "natural"
herbs are not regulated for purity and concentration (like all approved
drugs are).  Also some of these "natural" products contain chemicals that
do affect the bodys metabolic processes, and as a result can certainly have
side effects.  Since there are not controlled studies with these remidies
(because the do not have to be approved) the efficacy is only based on word
of mouth.  And the fact that an individual may feel beter temporally may
give people a fasle hope as their disease may be progressing.  Stomach
ulcers in ferrets are usually caused by a bacterial infection
(Helicobacter).  Because this is the underlying cause the bacterial
infection must be addressed or the ulcer will not resolve (even though the
symptoms may go away temporarilary).  The standard treatment for ferrets
with ulcers include amoxi (an antibiotic--5-10mg/# for 4-6 weeks) and
carafate (a protectant that coats the ulcer to enable it to heal dispite
the acid present in the stomach----50-100mg/# once to twice a day for 2-4
weeks).  've seen a number of cases tat relapse and also require
metronidazole (an antibiotic) in combination with the other meds for 3-6
weeks.

I hope this helps.

Dr Weiss
301-299-4142