From:
Beth Stoker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:10:38 -0600
About three weeks ago I didn't let my two girls out of the cage for 4 days.
I felt awful for doing it but things with my job blew up and I didn't have
any time.  My girls are still mad at me.  I don't know how to break this
cycle.

Ever since that time that I didn't let them out I have been experiencing
behavior problems - which I can understand I'd be mad too - but 3 weeks is a
long time to hold a grudge.  I discipline my ferrets by scruffing them or
putting them in the cage.  They get to break 3 major rules while they are
out any more than that then they go back in the cage.  (Three strikes you're
out) It has worked well over the last few years they usually get about 3
hours of play time at night and about 45 min in the am.

Major rules in our house are no digging in the carpet, biting people, going
underneath the dishwasher, over the baby gate or scratching *on purpose* our
5 year old daughter.  That's about it.  They can poop in the corners, I have
paper towels; they can jump on the coffee table and knock over our water;
they can steal my daughters toys and cram them under the couch.  But ever
since I didn't let them out for four days they have been breaking the major
rules with about 10 minutes of being let out.  I want to stay consistent in
the discipline but the cycle of them being bored in the cage is continuing.

I noticed the grudge about two days after when my mother came to visit.  My
mom is an animal person and the girls knew it so whenever she comes to visit
they would cover her with kisses.  But Frumpstiggle - the more gentle of the
two bit my mom 6 times in hard rapid succession.  She never bit before - her
whole life.  Then about another week later they both bit my dad when he
visited.  Then last week Frumpstiggle got my daughter.  She jumped up on her
and bit her twice and covered her leg in scratches.

I know they are mad because they were in the cage but I cannot allow this
behavior to continue.  I have been treating them like fear biters.  We move
slow or not at all when they are out - let them come to us for interaction,
always have treats handy.  And they seem to be fine but then all out of
nowhere poof they do something wrong.

Please any suggestions.  And no I can't leave them out all day the apartment
isn't and can't be ferret proofed.

Beth, Minerva & Frumpstiggle the marsh wiggle
in Denver CO