Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 20:21:52 -0800
One thing that, I must admit, dissapoints me about several breeders on this
list is the interest in breeding specific physical qualities and within
specific bloodlines.  It seems to serve as an exceptionally clear reminder
that very few people are truly qualified to foster good breeding on the part
of their mustelids.

I observed Edward Lipinski, the founder of the Ferrets Northwest shelter and
ferret welfare society, demonstrating not only a great familiarity with the
medical, nutritional, and reproductive aspects of ferrets, but an
understanding of the concept of genetic diversity and it's effect on the
health of future generations.  I also observed that he keeps breeding
information of all of his ferrets, including their parents and some
miscellaneous genetic information, even though he does not, himself, breed
and sell ferrets.  These activities are the sign of true competance and
skill that are so rare among breeders, and I find it haunting that these
traits are so difficult to find.

     Hats off to you, Lipinski.

          - Matthew Oesting
---
---  "Put the skunk back into the box..."  - Ralph Oesting
---