From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:35:57 -0500
I am at loss as to where to begin......

I really cannot belive that someone who professes to love and care
about ferrets, or any creature for that matter, who would use an act
of torture and cruelty -- withholding food -- as a method of behavior
modification. This is one of the methods that henious people like
Michael Vick use to train their dogs fight.....starve them, tease
them, beat them, use blood bait......all cruel and inhumane.

I have had many, many biters in my shelter and still do to this day.
These ferrets were "made" to be biters....not born that way. One in
particular, my first, was on his third shelter and destined to be
euthanized. "Jack the Ripper" was his name and he ended being my first
"spokesferret." I never trusted Jack to be handled by anyone else but
me but I used his "story" to demonstrate to people in my 'seminars'
that this is what happens to ferrets who are either mishandled or
abused by their owners. I said I would take Jack when all others had
given up on him...and he never, ever once even lunged at me. From day
one he knew I would not mistreat him. I gained his trust over a long
period of weeks with steady handling and patience. I never, ever once
withheld his food and water --- nor did I withhold my love and
kindness. I miss Jack every day as we lost him to cancer in December
of 2005.

And, to this day, this is how I "win over" my severe biters. Three of
my DMK kits entered my life as severe biters and over the year or so,
they are very handleable now and loving towards me -- but, alas, not
adoptable as they are not the cuddly pet I want to place in homes.
Most of my severe biters will not ever be adopted but they find their
"forever home" and peace and love with me.

And not for even one day was food, water, a comfortable cage with comfy
bedding, toys, playtime, vet care, treats, and the safety of a loving
home - ever withheld from an ill tempered ferret ---- AND NEVER WILL!

Maren Doshier
Founder/President
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS