From:
April Gallaty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:34:38 -0500
My experience with Delta has been great.  I have never flown with a ferret,
but I have flown with my cat and my dog.  My Pomeranian flew with me in the
cabin.  Due to their restrictions on pets per person in the cabin, my poor
kitty had to go freight.

The lady in the cabin ignored Bridgette's head sticking out of the bag I
had her in (under the cover next the wall).  She was supposed to stay
under the seat, but they tend to be reasonable.  As for the cat, I watched
someone carry him off, not stick him on a luggage rack, and then he was
carried out to the plane and then I got a last second confirmation that
he was secure.  Which was nice.

I also was assured that the cabin below is pressurized, air conditioned,
and lighted.  They really have to be.

The thing you should keep in mind when traveling with a ferret or any other
animal, is that some idiot on the plane is going to be allergic.  I know
it sounds moronic, but it happens.  As soon as you are seen, 1/2 the plane
wants to see the ferret, ask questions, etc.  That's what happened with
Bridgette.  But, one idiot, will say they are allergic and really raise a
fuss to go to first class or push you to the very back due to their very
sensitive noses.

Unfortunately, you are the going to be the loser in this battle.  One man
swore he was allergic to long haired cats.  Well, no problem.  I have a DOG
in this bag.  Oh, he's allergic to those too.  Well, I got stuck in the
tail and the moron got a first class seat just to appease his allergies.
I don't think he had them.  He just wanted something for free.  Hell, he
didn't know the difference between a dog and a cat!  I can just imagine
what will be said about a ferret.  "Ewwww.  I'm allergic to rats, guinea
pigs, etc.  I want a first class ticket."

Delta was nice and didn't throw me off the plane.  Unfortunately, had he
insisted, my 6 hour flight to Florida would have been canceled and I would
have gone on another flight.  It doesn't matter if you have the same priced
ticket or seniority with that company, or that you paid EXTRA to bring the
animal.  The animal person will loose out.

So, just be prepared to be late, take an extra flight or end up sitting in
the bathroom.  It's not right, but it happens.

April and the grounded ferts

Please join iGive.com and help a charity of your choice.  Join, shop, do a
good deed for your own charity and for mine!  Thanks!