From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:38:06 -0500
>I would be very interested to hear from breeders if they have had similar
>experiences.

When I started breeding ferrets, old breeders told me "the best pet ferrets
make the worst mothers".  Well, safe to say that is not true.  It all
depends on the jill.

I've had all wonderful "pets first, breeders second" ferrets.  Some chose to
be more protective when they actually had kits to care for, but reverted
back to their sweet selves after the kits were gone.  Some jills can be
incorporated back to their groups after the kits are gone, others can not.
I've had pregnant ferrets come to the rescue, who did not know me, and
allowed me to help deliver their kits.  I've had ferrets from other breeders
who I would never consider for my breeding program because they were
unstable in just regular handling, let alone when pregnant.

What I tell most people getting into breeding is, "The jill becomes a little
bitchy for a few months.  If you can't cope with that, then you should not
be breeding."

***   Seeking Shelter Information
>From:    "Diana C. Ashby" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Seeking Shelter Information
>How would I obtain literature on legitimate shelters in the country, those
>that use their donations on the ferrets and run a clean, happy environment?

This is almost impossible.  My best suggestion is to look on the STAR*
listing for a shelter you might have heard about, then call all the ferret
contacts and breeders and vets in the surrounding area and ask their opinion
of them.

The STAR* listing is just a list of resources - I can not vouch for all the
resources listed.  I have to rely on others to "police" for me.  Now, I do
have my own opinions of some of the people listed, and the people I do not
approve of are NOT listed.

If you want a non-ferret related source to give you ideas of who is good as
a ferret shelter, you may wish to contact Project BREED (listed on STAR*
listing as well) - they have a rather strict set of guidelines that needs to
be followed in order to be listed in their publications.

***  Normally...
>From:    Nancy William <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Compassion For Losses

To Pam Grant:
I think you might seriously want to consider your compassion and
sensitivity.  When an animal is seriously ill or has recently died, their
guardian doesn't need to see a post like this one.

Normally I'd post privately, but the FML people have asked me to make my
posts public...

I am about a week behind on the FML's - I don't read over the weekend, and
spend most of the early week trying to catch up on them.  The "timing" of my
post over TLC's regarding Mugsy's passing was just coincidence, but I do
know more about the history of that kit than you might realize.  You also
are placing your intonation in the wording of the post, and not mine, which
happens a lot in type.  Believe me, I feel for the ferret as well as it's
caretaker.

This post was supposed to go out over last weekend.....

To:    Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>

Troy Lynn,

You know as well as I that not everyone fits into a specific category.  I
worry about the rescuers who become collectors (Miami for example), not
someone like you who rescues and moves them out as quickly as possible.
Sure, you have a lot of pet ferrets, but after treating 60 ferrets all at
once for ECE, I think you know if you have met your match or not.

I'm sorry about Mugsy - my post was before your notice of his passing and
since I do suspect juvenile lympho - there was not a DAMN thing you could
have done to prevent his passing.  Whatever breeder he came from should be
notified if they give a care, but since they had/have ECE and are not
stopping breeding, I guess the point may be mute.

Understand that I will share your grief shortly, my ferret Bear is about to
say good-bye after almost a year with adult lympho - he is over 7 years old.
His companion is suffering from a hematoma that I can not get under control -
I fear he will rupture and bleed to death.  Streak is also over 7.  It would
be kinder to have them put down before they suffer, yet their eyes do not
tell me they are hurting yet.  It is so difficult to decide.  [decision made
on 11/21/96]

Hugs and ferret kisses,

Pam